Emily Dickinson Lexicon
Lexicon: ancient – angel
ancient, adv. [see ancient, adj.] (webplay: sun).
Phrase. “Ancient fashioned”: quaintly designed; old-fashioned; well-established; long-standing.
ancle (-s), n. [see ankle, n.]
and (&), conj. [OE and, mutual relation of notions and propositions; coordinating conjunction.]
- Besides; also; furthermore; along with; in addition to; [connecting between each one of the words in a series; polysyndeton.]
- [As a transition device to begin a new or related idea.]
- [Connecting a pair of words or phrases.]
- [Connecting coordinate clauses or compound sentences.]
- [Connecting between the last two items in a list.]
- [As an ampersand symbol: “&”.]
- [Connecting the same word in repetition for emphasis.]
- [Connecting a post-position modifier.]
- Phrase. “And then”: Subsequently; following that.
Andes, proper n. [Quechua, possibly anti, east; anta, copper, tapir; or andi, peak, crest.]
South American mountain range; southern half of the great chain of snow-capped mountains extending through the Americas; longest and second highest mountain range in the world; [fig.] enduring greatness; lasting impression; monumental legacy; eternal presence; everlasting memory; a sense of grandeur; magnificent feelings; [word play] agony; heartache; overwhelming sorrow; coldness of immense grief; (see ED letters).
Andre (Andre's), proper n. [Fr. form of Eng. 'Andrew' < Gk 'manly', 'strong', 'courageous', 'warrior'.]
Major John Andre (1750-1780); English officer who conspired with Benedict Arnold for the surrender of West Point; captured and executed when he unwittingly revealed his identity to Revolutionary Army soldiers; Johnson ed. of ED's poems says: “Major John Andre's request that he be allowed a soldier's death by shooting was denied by Washington, and he was hanged as a spy”; (see ED letters).
anecdote (-es), n. [Fr. < L. < Gk 'unpublished'.]
Story; description; report; account; tale; narrative from one's life.
anemone (-s), n. [Gk 'daughter of the wind'.] (webplay: wind-flower).
Genus of plant with brilliantly-colored flowers; species of wild or cultivated flowering plant.
anew, adv. [prothesis; OE a + new; see new, adj.]
Again; afresh; another time; in a new form.
angel, adj. [see angel, n.] (webplay: beautiful, man, whiteness).
Celestial; ideal; pure; perfect; virtuous.
angel (-s, -s'), n. [OE < L. < Gk 'messenger'.] (webplay: angel-shot, beautiful, call, figure, God, love, lute, man, resembling, say, small, tell, two, whiteness).
- Resident of heaven; servant of God in heaven; member of the heavenly host; person who has died and gone to heaven.
- Deity; Divinity; Jehovah; Lord; immortal Being.
- Guardian; defender; protector; one of the heavenly host; white-robed officer in the army of God.
- Seraph; ministering spirit; heavenly envoy; divine herald; messenger of God; holy one serving people on earth; intelligent being who communicates God's will to human beings.
- Advisor; mentor; beacon; guide; spirit.
- Good person; friendly neighbor; [fig.] sweet little girls.
- Bird; winged creature in Nature.