Emily Dickinson Lexicon
Lexicon: anonymous – anthracite
anonymous, adv. [see anonymous, adj.]
Unknown; unseen; [fig.] quietly; unobtrusively.
another, adj. [OE an, one + other.] (webplay: any, bear, love one another, more, name, one, opposite, own, praise, thing).
- A second; one more; an additional; a corresponding.
- A subsequent.
another ('s), pron. [see another, adj.] (webplay: any, bear, different, kind, love, one another, one more, opposition, praise, request, thee, way).
- One similar; one alike.
- Someone else; not oneself.
- Phrase. “One another's”: each other's; both persons'.
answer, n. [OE andswaru, solemn affirmation to rebut a charge < and-, against + swerian, to swear.] (webplay: bear, call, continent, distance, face, God, heart, noise, question, return, speech, sufficient).
- Reaction; action in response to an action.
- Reply; response to a question.
- Communication; [fig.] glance; meaningful look.
answer (-ed, -ing), v. [see answer, n.] (webplay: face, features, friend, God, man, pay, prayer, question, reply, sounds of birds, speech).
- Suffice for; be appropriate for; be suitable for.
- Explain; defend.
- Respond to an action.
- Respond to; reply to a question.
a'nt, v. [negative contraction of the 3rd person singular form of “be”.]
Ain't; isn't; is not.
antedate (-s), v. [L. ante, before + data, given.]
Accelerate; hasten; hurry; come early; arrive quickly; appear before the expected time.
antelope, n. [OFr < L. < Gk.]
Graceful four-legged animal; deer-like horned ruminant; goat-like quadruped; creature having speed, grace, agility, and beautiful black eyes [favorite image of Eastern poets.]
anterior, adj. [L. 'fore', 'former'.]
- Antecedent; previous; prior.
- First; earlier; original; past; more important.
anthracite, adv. [Gk 'coal-like'.]
Like charcoal; like a dark, shiny, metallic fossil fuel; like a mineral that with heat, pressure, and time can become a diamond; [fig.] cold now but having the potential to create light and warmth; [allusion] see Mitchell's Reveries of a Bachelor.