Emily Dickinson Lexicon
Lexicon: approving – arc
approving, verbal adj. [OFr < L. ad + probā-re, try the goodness of, prove.] (webplay: approved to God, measures).
Pleased; accepting; appreciative; satisfied; confirming.
apricot, n. [Port. albricoque or Sp. albaricoque < Arab. 'ripe in early summer'.] (webplay: berry, delicious).
Sweet orange fleshy stone-fruit; plum-like golden fruit of the genus Prunus.
April, proper n. [OFr < L. aprīlis.] (webplay: year).
Fourth month of the year; spring month in the northern hemisphere; time after winter when plants grow and flowers bloom again; [fig.] resurrection; time of rebirth; period of growth and renewal in Nature.
apron (-s), n. [OFr naperon < L. mappa, table-napkin.] (webplay: covers, covering, dust, flooring, worn).
- Corolla; [fig.] petal of a flower; white flower of the lily plant.
- Protective outer garment; extra piece of cloth used to keep clothes clean; leather work skirt covering the front of the body.
- Raiment; garment for cooking; [fig.] colorful clouds; sky with colored clouds.
aptitude, n. [Fr. < L. apt-us, fitted, suited, appropriate.]
Ability; tendency; readiness; faculty; potential; propensity; natural disposition; inborn inclination.
aquatic, adj. [or n.; Fr. < L. aqua, water.]
Watery; blue liquid.
arable, adj. [L. arā-re, to plow.]
Fit for plowing; tillable.
Ararat, proper n. [Heb. < Assyrian Urartu, ancient kingdom north of Assyria; poss. < *IE ar, mountain.]
Holy mountain; mountainous district near Armenia and Persia; high peak where Noah's ark landed after the flood (see Genesis 8:4); [fig.] home; temple; permanent haven; long-term sanctuary; final resting place; promised land; restoration of life; spring season of regeneration.
arbitrate, v. [L. 'examine, give judgment as a supreme ruler'.]
Mediate; intervene; negotiate; intercede for someone's welfare; [legal term] hear and decide a case; [ironic] meddle; interfere.
arc (-s), n. [OFr < L. arcum, bow, arch, curve.] (webplay: circumference, stretching, up).
- Orbit; ellipse; circular path.
- Expanse; area; space; realm; domain; universe; reality.
- Upward trajectory; curved path into the sky.
- Bow; arch; dome; vault; [word play on “architecture”] overpass; suspension bridge; [fig.] spider's web; network of suspended fibers.
- Length of a semi-circle; geometric measurement of part of a circle; [fig.] extent; degree; magnitude; scale; intensity; power; strength.
- Crescent; curved line; [fig.] wingspan.