Emily Dickinson Lexicon
Lexicon: arrogance – artifice
arrogance, n. [Fr. < L. arrogāntem, assuming, overbearing, insolent.] (webplay: degree, taking).
- Pride; haughtiness; exaggerated self-importance.
- Indifference; aloofness; insensibility; lack of concern.
arrogant, adj. [see arrogance, n.]
- Proud; haughty; bold; brash; brazen; presumptuous; self-important; [fig.] bright; gaudy; colorful.
- Superior; overbearing; boastful; bragging; inflated; bombastic; [fig.] windy; stormy; blustery.
arrogantly, adv. [see arrogance, n.]
Haughtily; proudly; indifferently; in a manner full of self-importance; [fig.] coldly; heavily; without feeling.
arrow (-s), n. [OE arhwe, thing belonging to the bow.] (webplay: bow, God, shot, straight).
- Impact; shock; object that arouses feelings; instrument which inflicts pain or sorrow; [fig.] mortal blow; cause of death.
- Missile; pointed stick; flying weapon of offense; straight, slender, barbed object that an archer sends out from a bow; [fig.] intention; aim; prayer; plea; entreaty; request; keen desire.
- Passion; ardor; romantic attachment.
art (-s), n. [OFr < L. ars, to fit.] (webplay: acquired, building, can, experience, grow, hands, human, making, man, mind, nature, painting, poetry, power, science, second, serving, skill, things).
- Gift; talent; genius; aesthetic sensibility; mastery of dance, music, painting, or other enhancing skills.
- Trade; craft; set of rules which enables one to create.
- Ability; power; competence; faculty; that which enables one to perform various tasks.
- Technique; method; procedure; approach; strategy.
- Decoration; embellishment; [fig.] natural beauty.
art, v. [L. es-, be, exist.] Suppletion form of the verb “be”; the singular second-person present-tense form.
- [Used for the copula.]
- [Used for the lexical verb, indicating location or existence.]
- [Used for the progressive.]
arterial, adj. [see artery, n.] (webplay: inner, outer).
Capillary; venous; having a network of blood vessels; [fig.] living; animate; [word play on “art”] artistic; elaborate; elegant; exquisite; beautiful and intricate in substance.
artery, n. [L. < Gk 'raise, lift up' or 'air'.] (webplay: blood, heart, lung, motion, name, vein, venous, wind-pipe).
- Outgoing blood channel; major blood vessel; main tube carrying blood from the heart; [fig.] source of life; means of existence.
- Red line; [fig.] colorful woods; scene of trees having red leaves.
article (-s), n. [Fr. < L. artus, joint < ar-, join.] (webplay: specific).
- [Legal term] statement; provision; item in a contract; clause in a written document.
- Thing; element; material; substance; skin; piece of cloth; [fig.] being; creature; entity.
artifice, n. [Fr. < L. arti, art + ficium, making.] (webplay: skill).
Sham; superficiality; contrived strategy; ingenious agenda.