Emily Dickinson Lexicon
Lexicon: yacht – yellow
yacht, n. [Du. jaghte, ship for chasing.]
Boat; sloop; schooner; stately water craft; royal vessel; [fig.] source of inspiration; lover who provides motivation; one who bears another in the journey of life.
yard (-s), n. [OE geard, fence, house, dwelling, region.] (webplay: small).
- Fabric; textile; dry goods; bolt of cloth; unit of measure for material; [fig.] blue expanse; sunlit sky; infinite atmosphere; broad canopy; [word play] territory; grounds; court; area of land.
- Groundcover; carpet of pine needles.
yarn, n. [OE gearn.]
Spun thread; hard, fibrous, silky protein that a spider produces to make a web; [fig.] tale; story; sophistry; intricate narration.
yawn, v. [OE ginian, to gape.]
Open; gape; spread apart the mouth widely; [fig.] swallow; devour; be discontent; reject a substitute.
yawning, verbal adj. [see yawn, v.]
Expanding; growing; abyss-like; [fig.] fearful; nervous.
yclept, v. [OE geclypian, make a sound; past participle form.]
Called; named; designated; labeled; considered.
ye, pron. [OE; see you, pron.; nominative plural of the second person; address to another in sacred style.] (webplay: solemn).
- [Apostrophe; direct address to unseen beings not present.]
- [Direct address to creatures or aspects of nature] you.
- [Direct address to people] you.
year (-s, -'s), n. [OE géar, time, season.] (webplay: age, day, first, month, old, period, revolting, sun, time).
Period of twelve months; cycle of 365 days; one revolution of the earth around the sun.
yearn (-s), v. [OE giorna.] (webplay: end).
Hanker; pine; mournfully desire; having a longing for.
yellow (-er), adj. [OE geolu.]
- Golden; aureate; bright; radiant; brilliant; vivid.
- Sunlit; shining; luminous; light giving; [fig.] final; last.
- Loud; penetrating.
- Warm; sunny; temperate.
- Eternal; everlasting.
- Sharp; keen; acute; narrow; [fig.] jaundiced; resentful; critical.
- Royal; majestic; glorious; godly.
- Mortal; human; [fig.] kindly; charitable; generous.
- Simple; humble; pious; god-fearing.